Queen Elizabeth 2-The Legend
Dear Guest

A very big welcome to the Forum glad that you found us.As the name say this Forum is dedicated to the QE2 in here you will find lots of information and filled with photos that cover all her years at sea.

We ask you please take your time and have a good look around for sure there is a question somewhere that you might have answer.This topic is open to guests too if you think you have some information to add please do so.

But please remember the main subject here is QE2 related.

We think that once you have looked around you are going to want to be part of this big family.

Their is of course some threads that are open only to members.

Please register yourself its easy and free.

The QE2 The Legend Team

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 116 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:32 pm
Latest topics
» Some of my videos of and on board QE2
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:47 am by Louis De Sousa

» QE2 items now on the new Queen Elizabeth
Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:20 am by lanky lad

» QE2 and the Falklands War
Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:54 pm by Louis De Sousa

» QE2 on You Tube
Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm by Louis De Sousa

» Hurricane Luis 1995
Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:28 pm by lanky lad

Top posting users this week

Poll

Which funnel fitted better?

41% 41% [ 14 ]
26% 26% [ 9 ]
32% 32% [ 11 ]

Total Votes : 34

Gallery

QE2 Restaurants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QE2 Restaurants

Post  Louis De Sousa on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

The restaurants were named as follows:

CURRENT CARONIA

Columbia Restaurant (1969 - December 1994)
Mauretania Restaurant (December 1994 - April 1997)
Caronia Restaurant (April 1997 - today)

CURRENT MAURETANIA

Britannia Restaurant (1969 - December 1977)
Tables of the World (December 1977 - April 1987)
Mauretania Restaurant (April 1987 - December 1994)
Caronia Restaurant (December 1994 - April 1997)
Mauretania Restaurant (April 1997 - today)

The original Grill Room on Quarter deck was closed and the space became part of the expanded Columbia Restaurant. (Passengers previously assigned to the Grill Room would now dine in the Queens Grill).

1972 refit: In order to obtain an additional 225 seats to give the Columbia Restaurant a capacity of 810, the restaurant was enlarged and extended forward taking in, and replacing, the Grill Room on the port side and a chunk of the galley on the starboard side (the galley could be made smaller with the introduction of the dedicated galley above for the Britannia Restaurant).

To incorporate the former Grill Room into the Columbia Restaurant the settees in the Grill were recovered in the same as the Columbia and the Race chairs (as in Columbia and Britannia) were introduced and replaced the original leather ones; new carpeting and furnishings were introduced.

The Grill Room Bar on One deck was also closed with the space being used for storage purposes. However, the spiral staircase linking Grill and Lounge was retained.

And so from 1972 there was only the Queens Grill, Columbia Restaurant and Britannia Restaurant until, to appeal to larger deluxe passenger audiance the Grill Room was bought back in 1976 and named Princess Grill. In 1977 the Britannia became Tables of the World and so it went on.....

The design of the 'new' Princess Grill was entrusted to Dennis Lennon and included perspex lights on pink table cloths at night with bulkheads panelled in Burgundy red leather and velvet and shiny metal trim. The original Grill Room Lounge on One deck forward was re-opened with the re-introduction of a Grill Room above. The area was decorated in the same style as the Grill itself. Passengers would gain access to the Princess Grill through the Princess Grill Lounge on One deck via a spiral staircase.

Louis De Sousa
Administrator The Captain

http://qe2-the-legend.do-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Princess Grill

Post  Brian_O on Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 am

Louis,

I believe that the Princess Grill was only installed during QE2's 1977 refit at Bayonne, New Jersey in December 1977, rather than in 1976 as stated in your essay. This was the same refit that saw the addition of the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth suites and the conversion of the Britannia Restaurant into the "Tables of the World".

My recollection of the Columbia Restaurant when I was on board in September-October 1977 was that the 1972 extensions were still there on both the Port and Starboard sides. This recollection is reinforced by QE2's 1977 Transatlantic brochure which on page 7 states " Dining is a lavish and leisurely experience in both First Class restaurants: the superb Queen's Grill, the most resplendent restaurant afloat, the Columbia Restaurant which offers exquisite, elegantly prepared meals created by some of the world's most talented chefs. "

The first mention of the Princess Grill that I can recall in any Cunard brochure that I have seen was in a 1977-78 Cruises brochure that I picked up at my travel agent's office in late 1977.

The Bayonne refit was from December 3 to December 20, 1977. Not all of the work was completed on time and QE2 left New York on her Christmas-New Year's cruise with workers still on board.

Brian_O

Back to top Go down

Re: QE2 Restaurants

Post  Louis De Sousa on Tue May 04, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks Brian for those dates of the refit ill add them on the Ship Log.

Louis De Sousa

Back to top Go down

Post  Louis De Sousa on Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 am

Brian do you still have those brochures ? if so maybe you would like to share it on the following link:

http://qe2-the-legend.do-forum.com/qe2-memorabilia-f32/brochures-t228.htm

Thanks

Louis De Sousa

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_O on Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 am

Louis De Sousa wrote:Brian do you still have those brochures ? if so maybe you would like to share it on the following link:

http://qe2-the-legend.do-forum.com/qe2-memorabilia-f32/brochures-t228.htm

Thanks

I still have the 1977 Transatlantic brochure but I seem to have misplaced the other one. Unfortunately I do not have a working scanner at the moment.

Brian_O

Back to top Go down

Oops! Re: Princess Grill

Post  Brian_O on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:14 pm

My earlier post concerning the 1977 Bayonne refit and the Princess Grill is incorrect. My comments were based on the wording about First Class dining found in QE2's 1977 brochures. The Princess Grill is not even mentioned in them; only the Queen's Grill and the Columbia are mentioned..

However, I just found the Daily Programmes for my time on board in 1977, starting with Voyage 250 (Eastbound crossing of Sep 25-30, 1977). The Princess Grill is indeed listed in both the list of First Class public rooms and the daily meal time listings.

So Louis' statement about 1976 is probably correct.

Brian_O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top